Monday, September 11, 2006

Makan lah!

It's been about 3 month now that I landed in Malaysia. Among all the changes from my previous life, food was a big one! Malaysian having a very rich ethnicity, food is accordingly incredibly varied. In Europe we sadly tend to call "Chinese" any restaurant serving any Asian food. But of course the variety is at least as wide as within European countries! And a Chinese Steamboat has definitely not the same taste as the Thai Fish Curry or the Indian Brinjal plate!

Add to this that dinning out at the restaurant is much much cheaper than in Europe and you will figure out why I spent 3 month without even peeling an apple! Though I like cooking, but even the dish I am the most proud of cannot compete with the mouth fireworks I experience on a daily basis down here. I just can't get enough of discovering new cuisines, new taste, new spices...

However after 3 month not even approaching my condo's kitchen I finally caught up with my favorite hobby: Marie and I spent some time Saturday cooking home made veggie lasagna from scratch. According to the Friends who came enjoy it at night, it was delicious! Either they were being really polite or I just didn't loose it too much during this no-cooking period...

Anyway, it was a lot of fun, a great time spent with some close friends, good wine enjoyed along with the lasagna... To be done again!

2 comments:

Ptitjean said...

Hi buddy,

That reminds me of my first month in Asia. I couldn't but go through all food court I could find, and staring at all these choices for only 2 or 3 euros !!
Anyway, I can assure you, that after a while, you're quite happy to find or have a french meal, and french food. Within the french community in Singapore, we even organised what we called "cheese party" : many various french cheese, french red wine, french bread and salad. AWESOME !!

Well, have fun tasting all asian food... I miss it, now that I am stuck in France :)

Cheers

Sylvain

Remi said...

You're right, I already pinpointed "Le Bouchon", restaurant owned by a Frog since 16 years. Every meal starts with a Pastis ;-)

I bet you miss food and so many things from Asia, just wait until february when you and Celine will show up in KL :-)