Thursday, February 05, 2009

¡Ya hace seis meses!

Yep, time flies, already six months that I moved in Mexico and I finally bring this blog back to life! A lot to catch up on…

Stating the obvious, life is way different by many aspects here. Malaysia and Mexico are not only antipodean geographically speaking but also in the lifestyle, and well, to be frank I am still a bit "lost in translation" trying to find my bearings. Moving from a human-sized city where everything is reachable within a short motorbike ride to one of the biggest and most jammed and polluted megalopolis on Earth is just not an easy thing. And starting over again with learning a new language either.

That said, I’d have already been gone for long if that wasn’t for the kindness and the hospitality of my Mexican colleagues and friends! After a few weeks I already felt like I’d been around for months. It doesn’t take much more than the first meeting to enter the circle, be considered part of the group and be invited to fiestas and outings.

Speaking of which, fiestas are taken very seriously here! The slightest event can become a reason to celebrate! It all starts with a simple get-together after work hours and ends up in the middle of the night. Dance and tequila are the two mandatory ingredients for any fiesta, but there are many others to tune the flavor: singing, mechanical bull, piñatas, spicy tacos, and many more!...

Spanish is still a barrier, sometime quite frustrating, but I spend efforts on it, studying handbooks on a daily basis. And of course I harass my cubicle neighbors for constant feedback on my verbs mistakes and mistranslations… Cada día un poco mejor :-)

Although I have to admit it was not love at first sight with Mexico City aka “el DF” , after a few weekend outings and trips I now know for a fact that Mexico (the country, not the city) really has a lot to offer. More on this coming up soon…


Nuestro "depa" en la colonia Condesa




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tiens vous avez l'air malheureux aussi vous... :-)
Come esta?

Remi said...

Todo bien compadre, ¿y tu? Tu prends racine au pays des pyramides?

Anonymous said...

la photo ci dessus c'est de chez vous? c'est tres belle et grand dites donc!

tu me manques et les soirees mardi soirs aussi :(

muchos besitos

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Glad to have you back...I was worried there for a while and would've given up on this ever being revived if it weren't for good ol' RSS feeds!

Jayna

Remi said...

Hola Pau-lynn, yes I miss our special Tuesday sushi nights :-)

Remi said...

Haha, you're right Jayna, I don't know who this RSS guy is, but for sure he was my most loyal reader during those last 6 months of blog inactivity ;-)