Monday, January 18, 2010

Summiting El Pico de Orizaba

Ever since I set foot in Mexico, I had in mind to summit El Pico de Orizaba. At 5636 m (18490 ft), this is Mexico's highest (and most beautiful) summit! Shortly before Christmas I had the opportunity to intent an ascent: while doing rock climbing a few months ago, I met Mathieu and Argenis, two mountaineering junkies. They were training for the ascent of the famous Aconcagua and offered me to join them for the ascent of the Orizaba. For them, it was a peaceful Sunday stroll, but for me it was the biggest mountain I ever climbed!

We set camp at the shelter (4,200m) and did an "alpine start": getting started at 2am and do a one-shot ascent. The atmosphere was incredible! Being alone in the dark far above the clouds is just magical! We made it to the bottom of the glacier by sunrise, geared up and finally reached the summit two hours later.

I really felt the lack of oxygen! Ever step forward was a challenge, we had to stop and catch our breath every 10 steps. Quite an experience!

I let pictures speak for themselves:

2 comments:

Bob said...

Superb shots. Jealous.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.