Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Damned Hanoi-ing cold!

Here I am in Hanoi (Vietnam) on a business trip for the whole week. Temperature is ranging between 10 and 15 Celsius and the weather is all gray and sad. Quite a shock for me! I’ve not been exposed to such low temperature in the past two years, and I realize that I can’t stand it anymore! Or at least that I need time to adapt. It’s really damned annoying and depressing! Barely wanna go out at night and discover this amazing city!

Well, in order to not sound too negative, here is a good side of being here: French colonialism has left a strong influence on the Vietnamese cuisine, and I was happy to re-discover real croissant, cheese and oven fresh “campagne bread”. Not that I’m obsessed with those things, but once in a while it feels good to bite into good old bread tasting like bread.

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention: most of my colleagues around my cubicle are heavily smocking in the open space! Really disturbing, not to mention the impact on health in the long-term… I’m happy I was born in a world where, in most places, smocking in the office is not only frowned upon, but forbidden by law. Gosh that must have been really major annoyance when it was a normal practice in the offices!

Edit 2: I had the chance to secure a few hours on Friday afternoon to visit downtown before heading to the airport on my way to KL. I just fall in love with the city. I loved the narrow and crooked streets, the traditional handicraft in all the market places like Dong Xuan, the peaceful walk around Hoan Kiem lake and its Ngoc Son "floating" temple. I met a very kind lady who spent about one hour trying to teach me "survival vietnamese" in order for me to be able to order food at the foodstalls by the streets. It didn't feel bustling at all, and the whole city seemed very authentic to me. This city still has a soul. I can't wait to be back, but for the fun this time!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate weather changes, too! I just got a cold from going to the desert. Yuck. Hope you get better soon!

Jayna

Melody Khor said...

Hello,

My dad is currently posted to Hanoi too. Which hotel are u staying in Hanoi? The traffic, pollution and noise is horrible innit? KL seems like a meadow in comparison. =)

Post pix of Hanoi yes if your doing the touristy thing.

Melody

Remi said...

Hi Melody,

I didn't really have a chance to visit Hanoi downtown yet, so I can't really tell; but my first impression is that Hanoi has much less skyscrapers as KL does. But traffic is hell, that's granted!

I stay at the Daewoo. And the walk to the Vietnamese office of my company takes about... 15 seconds! How about your dad?

Looking forward to ear more from the new post-training Melody in the coming days/weeks :-)

Anonymous said...

1- This title could have been mine. Way to go.
2- Say Hi to Stephane for me. From Teheran :-)
3- Note the new address :-)

Remi said...

1- Know what? I thought about you when I figured it out. Great minds think alike ;-)

2- I sure will.

3- Congrats for http://foto-licious.com! Got your email, love the concept. Already thought about candidate picture #1 for me... But thinks were just hectic in the last two weeks!

Melody Khor said...

woo.. Daewoo is posh. Lucky u! My dad is staying in a low rise serviced apartment in the city centre called "Ciao". Its like a 10 min walk to Hai Ba Trung towers where he works.

Gary, Nell, Asyirah (the enthusiastic ones who signed up for the Adv. course) will be arranging a meet up this saturday at Coffee Bean Mont Kiara.

Let's just hope they dont attempt to brainwash me into their "cause"... cos i cant get very nasty!

Goodnite!

Remi said...

Well, the company is paying for the hotel of course, but if it was me I'd much rather be in the city center, in a simpler place!

I won't be able to make it on Saturday, but I'm 100% with you: be strong and don't let those volunteering salesmen switch your mind! No one wanna see Melody get "very nasty" ;-)

Cheers,

V said...

I told you so !
This fuc**** cold weather almost spoiled my week off in Vietnam. Hanoi is a wonderful place though.
Talking about cold weather, France is surprinsingly not so bad right now. A big thumb up for Global Warming, I guess ...

By the way, I love your title !

Remi said...

Vinc', glad to ear from you! So you survived coming back to France... Where do you stay? Did you settle with Guilhem?

Dustin Fulkerson said...

Question for ya: On some of your latter blogs you have a slideshow option that one can see numerous pictures of yours. How/where did you get it? I would very much like to use it. Thanks, and hope all is well!