Monday, June 23, 2008

Me-x-iting!

No, this blog is not dead (yet)!

To make up with my long silence, here is breaking news: my assignment in Malaysia is over and after more than two years spent in Asia it’s time to move on. My next home will in Mexico, Mexico City!!! I have been looking forward to settle there ever since I set foot in this country for a short trip over spring break few years back as I was student in the USA. Besides I got pals over there who can’t seem to stop filling me on how top notch their life is…

This nice opportunity popped 3 month ago and since then I’ve been kept pretty busy. Asides from the troublesome arrangements with the movers and the Mexican custom/immigration officers, I had to deal with Malaysia authorities who tried to rip me off a third of my income this year… And I was in the urge to register on a Spanish crash course cause the extent of my knowledge of this language is more or less limited to ordering a beer at the bar! On top of it I caught the dengue last month in Thailand and it didn’t make things any easier since I got high fever for a whole week :'-( Not to mention the high workload with 2 critical offers that kept me at work a few weekends and nights. I think the message is clear: Asia is kicking me out!

The plan is: my assignment in Kuala Lumpur ends by end of this week. I'm then off for a quick 10 days break in Laos (it was a tough call to pick up a destination for this last trip in Asia), and back in KL for a few days, time for me to do some paperwork with the Mexican embassy. And then on the 14th of July: en route to Mexico! That's gonna be the longest flight in my life! 24h with connecting flights in Taipei and Los Angeles...

Marie and I can’t wait to re-unite with Latinos culture, live in a city where it is actually possible to enjoy walking to go from point A to point B and where buildings have decades or centuries of history… Of course I’m not gonna sugarcoat it and I also know we will step in one the biggest, most polluted and possibly dangerous cities in the world. But if we survived it once, we should be able to survive it again!

Wow, ¡México! ¡Llego!

10 comments:

poponabot said...

just so you know how much i will miss the two of you. you guys are amazing people and it'll be a shame to not see either of you for a very, very, long time!!! Bonne continuation!!!!!!

Remi said...

Thanks Popo, how sweet of you! Don't forget our dinner next Tuesday, though!

I gonna miss you too... But Internet makes the world a bit smaller!

poponabot said...

Pah! True but it'd be even more awesome possum face to face, no? Have a look at my blog, i've finally updated. and linked you too!!

Remi said...

Hey, long time since I checked out your blog! I finally get to read about your trek in Vietnam! Seems you guys had quite an experience!
And excuse my French, but yours has f*** much improved since you traveled to Paris last month! Congrats. Et au fait, c'est toi l'opossum.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Congratulations. I was wondering where you'd been...guess just getting a whole 'round the world move organized, eh?

If you and Marie are ever in need of a break from south of the border, you can always hop a trip over to the good ol' US of A. I'd love to finally get to meet Marie and to hear how the last year (or so) of your life has been going!

Anywho...congrats!

Jayna

Anonymous said...

Jayna: would be nice to meet you too! I remember Remi telling me you spent quite some time in India, would love to hear about your experience. So you're back home now? Whereabout in the US?

Marie said...

You guessed it, I was the accidental anonymous!
Marie

Remi said...

Jayna, paying a visit to the "good ol' US of A" is definitely on the radar... Although South America also offers tons of attractive travel opportunities too! Tough call. But I'm sure we will end up in the Estados Unidos at some point. Enjoy your month of rest before heading to Colorado and Minnesota...

Mag said...

Hi there
Manu and I are so sorry we missed both Marie and you, I was expecting to receive the farewell party email in my mail box and just found out you guys walk out so discretly.
M'sian won't be the same without you guys :-(

Remi said...

Hehe, that's my style, I like to sneak out without a word. That's maybe because I suck at saying goodbye. Anyway, that doesn't mean I don't miss the Malaysian gang. But you heard the saying: Travellers always meet...